Tuesday, January 20, 2015

What Temperature is Your Oatmeal?

Holidays in my house growing up weren't always celebrated on the actual holiday - they still aren't.  My mom is a nurse  - which has always meant we are pretty flexible for holidays.  That works out now being part of another family - we can do double the celebrations.
For the Dekker Thanksgiving this year I was in charge of bread/rolls.  My brother thinks rolls should be the main dish, his son Xander follows his theory.
Since I was traveling from home with the bread, I didn't really want it to be the standard Rhodes rolls, what if they were cold?  What if I brought them unbaked and each one popped like sad little bubbles?  See how logically I was thinking that day?  What did I do instead?  Made Italian Oatmeal Pan Bread.  It's not often that I make oatmeal with the intent to use it with yeast for bread, but this bread?  SO good.  I brought it to my folks risen but not baked, we baked it at their house and it was so good.  My brother?  He only ate one piece - really?  He's the bread guy!  Oh well, we thought it was good.

Italian Herb Oatmeal Pan Bread
Ingredients
1-1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1½ Tablespoons or 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
½ cup warm water, about 110 degrees
¼ cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter, softened
2 teaspoons salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour

For the topping:
¼ cup butter, melted, divided
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions
1.Combine boiling water and oats in a small bowl. Cool down to approx 110 degrees.
2.In a separate bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, butter, salt, egg, oat mixture and 2 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
3.Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 7-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, flip once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
4.Punch dough down and press evenly into a greased 13-in x 9-in baking pan. With very sharp knife, cut diagonal lines 1-1/2 in apart completely through dough. Repeat in opposite direction to create a diamond pattern. (I thought my dough scraper worked well for this. My knife kept sticking to the dough. You can also try buttering your knife for ease of cutting.) Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
5.Redefine pattern by gently cutting along cut lines with a knife tip. Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
6.Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Brush bread with remaining butter; sprinkle with cheese mixture. Bake for 5 minutes. Loosely cover with foil and bake 5 minutes longer. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10