Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A tale of pins and pies...

Let me tell you a story... a story about a pin on Pinterest.
My friend Brian told me about this pie... this amazing pie he had that was half sweet potato and half pecan pie.  It had a bourbon sauce on it and was to die for... so he claimed.
I tried to pin the link - you see, because that's what I do.  I pin things on Pinterest.  The problem with the link he gave was that it had no photo.  You have to have a photo for pinning links on Pinterest.  So I googled, found a similar looking (I could only assume) pie used that image, pinned the link, moved on with my life.
Since then over 3000 people have repinned that silly reference link I made for myself.  I finally had to make a rule in my email to delete any emails that came with the title of the recipe.  My phone pops up all day with notifications about people liking or pinning this recipe.
I guess if that many people are interested in it, I should at least try the recipe.  Plus the raving review Brian gave it.
We celebrated Christmas with Andy's family and my father-in-law loves both sweet potato and pecan pie... also bourbon.  From all accounts that I heard - it was awesome.  I'm not a fan of any of those things so I decided not to partake.  Although I should have at least tried the sauce, that bourbon was hard to find.  Apparently my ability to find a liquor store in business is not great.  Then when I finally did find one and brought the teeny tiny bottle home Andy said "oh, they have those at every gas station."  [facepalm]
It's up to you if you want to try this pie.  Heck - pin it on Pinterest.. Or pin this blog post... you do what you want... it's your life. Think I'll just sit here and smile at the cute little bottle of bourbon.



Pappadeaux's Sweet Potato Pecan Pie With Bourbon Sauce

1 (9 inch) pie shells, unbaked

Sweet Potato Filling:
1 1⁄4 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes (2 medium)
1⁄4 cup brown sugar
1⁄4 cup sugar
1  egg, lightly beaten
1⁄4 cup heavy cream
1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1  pinch salt
3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3⁄4 teaspoon allspice
3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
3  tablespoons butter, softened

Pecan Pie Filling:
1 1⁄4 cups sugar
1 1⁄4 cups dark corn syrup
3  eggs, lightly beaten
3  tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1  pinch salt
3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1⁄4 cups chopped pecans

Bourbon Sauce:
1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
1  cup milk
1 (3 1/2 ounce) box vanilla instant pudding mix
3  tablespoons Bourbon or 3 tablespoons brandy or 3 tablespoons rum
1  teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Sweet Potato Filling:  Combine mashed sweet potatoes, sugars, egg, cream, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and butter in an electric mixing bowl and beat at medium-low speed until smooth (do not overmix).
Pecan Filling: Combine all ingredients.
Bourbon sauce: Whisk all ingredients together until creamy and smooth.
To Assemble: Spoon sweet potato filling into the pastry shell.
Fill shell evenly to the top with the pecan filling.
Bake at 1 1/2 hours or until a knife inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean.
Store pie at room temperature for 24 hours before serving.

Serve pie slices with Bourbon Sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10